Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Free Software, Acts of Kindness and Cyndi's List
How did they do it? Our ancestors lived through tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes and earthquakes without the benefit of Doppler Weather and early warning systems.
While doing research on births, deaths and marriages be sure to think about how the weather might have affected your ancestor's life. Was your great grandmother born in Upper Michigan in February? How would that have affected a midwife from helping with the birth?
I have such great admiration for the Florida pioneers. Between the snakes, bugs and alligators the sweltering heat and humidity may have been only a minor inconvenience! But how many people died due to the harsh conditions and wildlife?
Sunday August 21
* Hawaii became a state on this date in 1959
* Hawaii's State Archives holds a variety of vital records from 1832-1949
* Visit: http://hawaii.gov/dags/archives
Monday August 22
* Genealogy Blogs can help researchers learn more about a specific locale, ethnic group or general research.
* Visit Cyndi's List for biggest list of Genealogy Blogs around! http://www.cyndislist.com
Tuesday August 23
* Researching in Chicago? Consider The Czech and Slovak American Genealogical Society.
* Visit The Czech & Slovak American Genealogy Society of Illinois: http://www.csagsi.org/
Wednesday August 24
* Genealogy Glossary:
* Cluster Genealogy A research technique to get a more complete picture of your family. In a cluster study, you document all of the members of your family, and their neighbors, friends, and business associates. This enables you to learn more because you pick up additional information from the records generated by the everybody rather than just a few relatives.
Thursday August 25
* Need an obituary from a library or a record from a court house in another state? Check out Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness.
* Visit RAOGK: http://www.raogk.org
Friday August 26
* Everyone loves free stuff! Check out this free Genealogy Software
* Family Tree Builder 5.1: http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder
* Personal Ancestor File (PAF) - 5.2: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/paf/
* RootsMagic Free Trials: http://rootsmagic.com/Try/Default.aspx?
* Legacy 7.0 Family Tree: http://www.mytrees.com
Saturday August 27
* Shake your family tree and watch the nuts fall!
Take Cover or Care, whichever is appropriate!