I always get excited when I have email from Facebook, Ancestry, Rootsweb or Findagrave. One way or another I know that I am going to be connecting with family members I may not have seen in decades or never knew existed.
This month I have been very fortunate to reconnect with family via Ancestry, have photo requests fulfilled on Findagrave and connected with family on Facebook! The trick to all this 'connecting' is just 'being there'. If you are not using all of these sites your genealogy toolbox is missing some essential tools.
Sunday September 18
* Facebook and Genealogy: Scan old family photos and post them on Facebook. It will encourage family members to share their memories and maybe upload some of their own!
Monday September 19
* Passports were issued by the State Department starting in 1810 through 1925.
* They were not mandatory but suggested by the Federal Government.
* If you ancestors traveled out of the United States during this time period visit: www.archives.gov/genealogy/passport
Tuesday September 20
* Family Tree Magazine – get the tricks and tools to advance your research.
* Find articles, forms, classes and more - Visit: www.familytreemagazine.com
Wednesday September 21
* Online classes are available via the Family Search Learning Center
* Take the 5 Minute Challenge, Learn about Courthouse Research and more.
* Visit: The Learning Center
Thursday September 21
* The first state census for South Dakota was taken in 1895.
Friday September 22
* Doing research in Ontario and Upper Canada Genealogy and History?
* Visit: www.ontariogenealogy.com
Saturday September 23
* Land records can help solve genealogy mysteries or dispel myths. Search for Land Patents and Surveys on the General Land Office Records website.
* Visit: www.glorecords.blm.gov
Time to check my mailbox and see if there are any new messages from long lost relatives!