Search All Our Blogs

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Holidays

The holidays are here and I have been absent from my blog! Beside all the shopping and decorating the holidays bring I have actually taken the time do to some research on my family tree. 

While I still am not sure if I have the correct John Outcalt that married Catharine (Dollie) Schultz in either Pennsylvania or New Jersy in 1889 I may have more clues. My biggest regret is that I did not start doing my research at a younger age or that families in general do not always pass on their family history and stories. Why didn't I ask my grandmother about how she celebrated Christmas when she was a child? And while my dad always talked about his grandmother's buckwheat pancakes I never asked  him his favorite holiday memory.

During this holiday season start up a conversation with an older relative about their memories of the holidays. It doesn't have to be an interview. You do not have to find out dates and places and write down your sources. Just talk to each other. Maybe you have heard the stories before but others may not have heard them.

Next week I will have some New Year's Resolutions for Genealogists.

Take Care,
Pattie


Perry, Cathy, Butch, Eddie, Pattie
Pahlke Cousins
1955

No comments:

Post a Comment